Thursday, July 5, 2012

Review of Jade City Sugilite by Ruby Red Galleria, Part 1

This review is pretty long, so I'll have to do a Part 2 as well to show you some pictures of her jointing, and inside her headcap.  For now, here's an overview and my first pictures of my new girl!

I drooled over Ruby Red Galleria dolls for an entire year before actually buying one.  I kept seeing magazine ads for them, and they always caught my eye.  This one is 2012's "The Jade City" Sugilite.  I'm still learning about this series of dolls, but I'll tell you what I know.

Sugilite is part of the "InMotion Girl" series of dolls by Red Ruby Galleria.  She is 12"/30cm tall.  ... I love that size!  She is a high quality vinyl/plastic, and has changeable eyes and wigs like an Asian ball-jointed doll.  She is super-articulated, with bending wrists and ankles.  You can take off her hands if you have to if you want to fit tight sleeves on her.  Her design is a little bit like the larger-sized Obitsu dolls.

She wears size 10mm eyes and a size 5-6 wig.  I was really pleased to see they didn't skimp on quality for the wig and eyes.  The wig is soft and very well made.  ... It does NOT feel like a cheap wig.  (I can't abide cheap wigs!)  The face paint is well blended and nicely applied, and she has real eyelashes.  Sugilite comes with green eyes.  

Here's the weird thing:  I looked at Ruby Red Galleria's web site, and they have a few different types of dolls they call their "InMotion" dolls.  One kind is a doll called Lia that seems to have the exact same face and body as Sugilite ... but Lia is designated as her own line(?) and is in a separate part of the web site from Sugilite.  It's really weird.  There are also a few other dolls that also seem to have this same face sculpt and body, yet are given different names.  It's really confusing to me.  Over a week ago I e-mailed Ruby Red Galleria to ask about it, and they never answered my e-mail.  Sigh.  Maybe one day I'll figure out their dollie naming system.

By the way, I have to thank Dale from Lone Star Dolls for putting up with me and being such a great person to buy from.  Thanks, Dale!  You're awesome and I love my Sugilite.

A little bit about the clothing

The dress is wool, and fastens in the back with small hooks.  I had to take her hands off to get the dress on her. ... The hands pull straight out with a firm but gentle tug, similar to Fashion Royalty dolls.  I'm already terrified I'm going to break the posts in her wrists, but they seem fairly sturdy.  I was able to get her jacket on easily without taking off her hands, though.  All the clothing is nicely made and lined.  She also comes with an extra sleeveless white shirt (that snaps in the back) and pink shorts, and some white panties to wear under the dress.  No socks and no stand. 

The only velcro used for her costume was on her boots.  The boots open all the way down the back with a thin strip of velcro.  It makes the boots very easy to take on and off, and the quality was nice on them, too.

She also came with this shirt/shorts set.
Size compared with other dolls

Sugilite's (and InMotion Lia's) body is pretty much exactly Yo-SD sized, even her feet, so she can wear Yo-SD clothes and shoes.  (Yo-SD, also spelled YoSD, is a resin doll made by Volks.)  I just tried some Yo-SD shoes on her, and they fit perfectly!  Yo-SD has a larger head than Sugilite/Lia, so their wigs will be too big for her. 

Sugilite/Lia's chest, waist, and arm measurements are also very similar to the Tonner 12" Marley doll (although her hips are wider than Marley's), so she can wear shirts and sweaters and some dresses made for Marley.  Marley pants and shoes will NOT fit.

I think it'll be way easy to find clothing for this doll.  Yay!  That just makes her more fun.  

More on Sugilite to come in Part 2.  

The box has a sizing chart on the side showing her exact measurements.
Reminds me of a friend I had as a kid.  My friend had this exact same hair color!

No comments:

Post a Comment