Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Some Mattel news


 
DC SUPER HERO GIRLS

Mattel collaborated with DC Comics to do a series of comic book heroine and villain dolls called the DC Super Hero Girls. They'll be 12 inches tall and have bending elbows and knees, and possibly bending wrists, too.
I like that they aren't hyper-sexualized. The faces are beautiful. The costumes look good without being skimpy. I looked on their website, and it looks like a later series will include the villains Cheetah and Catwoman (yay for both!), as well as the characters Star Sapphire, Hawk Girl and Hal Jordan. Wait a minute ... Hal Jordan? *Looks around.* I guess they aren't just limiting themselves to girls in this line. Will he be called a "Super Hero Boy?" Because if the ladies are called "girls," but the males are called "men" instead of "boys," I'll be a tad upset. 
The line's background story is the now-predictable Mattel staple that all these characters are attending the same high school together. Hmmm. ... Where have we seen THAT theme before? But the dolls are delightful, though. And since I've been a Wonder Woman fan since I was a kid, I can't wait to get their Wonder Woman character. SHE WILL BE MINE!!!
There will also be a 6-inch series of action figures with molded plastic hair, and bending elbows and knees.
 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Syndey,
    I am also so excited for the new Wonder Woman doll. I have always loved her as well! To be honest, they are all cute and I would be interested in seeing them in person first, but most likely I will get WW and Supergirl, just due to my childhood nostalgia of loving the characters. :)
    Did you see that Barbie is also coming out with a GORGEOUS Dawn of Justice Wonder Woman doll as well and she seems to have that body similar to the new Made to Move dolls. Oh my word, she's stunning!
    As for MH...I really don't know how I feel. I am a MH collector, but came late to the game. In a way, I feel a bit of relief as I can catch up with all the older dolls I have wanted to add and not be tempted by these newer "watered down" versions. I am completely shocked that they are changing them though, like you said, due to the apparent success they have had. It's the why fix what's broken thing. I guess I will have to wait and see. Clawdeen looks really cute. I think Draculaura looks horrible though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I hadn't seen the Dawn of Justice Wonder Woman. Thanks to your post, though, I did a search and found pictures. Wow, she's amazing! Great face AND great costume. Thanks for pointing her out to me.

      Delete
  2. This is very interesting. That's what I like about doll blogs is that they always have new info you wouldn't be able to get elsewhere. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. There is so much new doll and toy information coming out right now, I'm having a hard time keeping up. It looks like 2016 will be a great year for dolls, though. :)

      Delete
  3. Comic book heroes are all the rage right now, so the DC tie-in is a good idea. The only doll I'm in doubt about is Harley Quinn. The character is rather mentally ill, and is also in a mentally abusive relationship with the Joker. And that's just in the cartoon version I've seen of her.

    Some Monster High fans seemed to have been tired of the brand, feeling like there wasn't much new or exciting. Maybe sales are down and Mattel is trying to get people interested in the dolls who haven't been in the past, as a new audience to sell them. Would be interesting to see their marketing research numbers.

    ReplyDelete