Friday, September 20, 2013

More about the Zelfs

I've come to the conclusion that part of the reason I like Zelfs is they look like something that would come from the pen of Brian Froud.  He not only produced some amazing fanciful art books on fairies and goblins, but also did the concept art for the movies "The Dark Crystal" and "Labyrinth."  I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks of Brian Froud art when I look at the Zelfs.  LOL. 

Anyway, my 5-year-old decided to ... um ... "reappropriate" my Zelfs.  As in, they now live in her room.  Permanently.  I'm just lucky I was able to get pictures before they were wisked away.  Here she is holding them up in triumph, after the Great Zelf Migration of 2013. 

At her urging (and via a $4.99 sale at Toys R Us), we've managed to buy a few more of them.  I've stashed several more in my closet for her birthday in a couple of months, so it will be a while before I can photograph them.  The ones up above are the ones we've opened so far.

Also ...  Am I the only person who finds this just a TEENY bit creepy?  I went to the Toys R Us website to look at the Zelf listings, and now suddenly every site I visit has Zelf toys on it in conjunction with a Toys R Us ad.  I'm being STALKED BY TOYS R US!!!  I'M IN THE BEAST!!! 

This happens whenever I look at anything on the Toys R Us site, though.  For a whole week, there were nothing but TRU ads everywhere with pictures of Monster High dolls on them.  THEY KNOW WHERE I LIVE!

And now for more random Zelf pics.  :)  Because they're cute, and why not.

You can find my review of the Zelfs here (or just scroll down).

 

The grin on this one makes me laugh.


2 comments:

  1. You're definitely not the only person that thinks of Brian Froud when you look at the Zelfs. I was actually somewhat disappointed when I did an online search on the Zelfs and found out the Frouds didn't design them. I was so sure that was the case when I first saw them at the store. The similarity in style to that of the Frouds' work (Wendy Froud specializes in doll-making so it only seems fair to mention her too, since the Zelfs are dolls) is part of the reason I decided to start collecting Zelfs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone, I am a big Froud fan, and have several of his art books and I definitely see the resemblance. I'll have to start collecting these! :D

    ReplyDelete