Sunday, August 19, 2012

What I've been up to this week ...

The tiles are made from recycled glass.
OK, this is so TOTALLY not doll-related, but I wanted to share what I've been doing this week.  My very first kitchen remodeling project!  The house I live in never had a tiled wall behind the kitchen stove, meaning every time oil or grease splattered, it would end up staining the painted wall behind the stove.  Not any more!  I finally decided to tile it myself.

My first step was watching literally 7-8 tutorial videos on Youtube on how to make a tiled backsplash for the kitchen.  I've never used mortar before in my life.  I've never used grout before in my life.  LOL.  This whole project has been a first for me.

Blue painter's tape outlines the area where I will put the tile.
Anyway, I just managed to finish the tiling today.  I was so pleased with the results that I decided to tile a spot right above my kitchen sink as well.  These pictures show my stripped-bare kitchen during the work.  The blue lines around the edges of the project are blue painter's tape. 

The mortar has to dry overnight before I can do the grout and caulk the edges.  Not done yet!  But ... the major work is done. 

The mortaring and tiling begins!
After a full day of work, the tiling is finally done.





I had some tile left over, so I decided to do a spot above the sink as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment